Government Code Section 6270.5 (Senate Bill 272)
On October 11, 2015, the State of California enacted Senate Bill 272 (SB 272) which adds a section to the California Public Records Act (Government Code Section 6270.5) relating to public records. SB 272 requires local agencies to create a catalog of “Enterprise Systems” and post that catalog on their respective websites by July 1, 2016 with annual updates. However, systems used for security, public safety, and public utilities are not included in the requirements of SB 272.
“Enterprise System” is defined as a software application or computer system that collects, stores, exchanges, and analyzes information that the agency uses that is both of the following:
- A multi-departmental system or a system that contains information collected about the public.
- A system of record where the system serves as an original source of data within an agency.
San Bernardino LAFCO liberally interprets the definition of Enterprise System in its disclosure.
For each agency’s Enterprise Systems, the following information is to be disclosed:
- Current system vendor.
- Current system product.
- A brief statement of the system’s purpose.
- A general description of the categories or types of data.
- The department that serves as the primary custodian.
- How frequently the data is collected.
- How frequently the system data is updated.
Local agencies must disclose Enterprise Systems with the following exceptions:
- Physical access control systems, including employee identification management, video monitoring and other physical control systems.
- Infrastructure and mechanical control systems, including those that control or manage street lights, electrical, natural gas, or water or sewer functions.
- Systems related to 911 dispatch and operation or emergency services.
- Systems that would be restricted from disclosure pursuant to Section 6254.19.
- The specific records that the information system collects, exchanges, or analyzes.
This catalog will be reviewed and updated on an annual basis by July 1 of each year.
Below is the catalog of “Enterprise Systems” as of July 1, 2016 for the Local Agency Formation Commission for San Bernardino County.